One of the biggest challenges for this project was to establish standards for the awards. The agricultural practices in Kansas are so diverse that it seemed impossible to find standards that would be broadly applicable. However, our steering committee came together and collaboratively determined categories that all agreed were standards for excellence in innovation.
STANDARDS FOR AWARDS
- Saves water.
- Saves energy.
- Affordable Solutions (or funding available)
- Replicable, scalable, appropriate for diverse Kansas Farms.
- Saves Money.
- Preserves or enhances soil quality.
- Preserves or enhances water quality.
- Incorporates Renewable Energy.
- Other concerns or benefits?
Once the standards were established, additional categories emerged to ensure that the models of successful innovation represented the diversity of the agricultural community across the state.
- Water Availability
- Climate Zones
- Means of Production